Thursday 7 August 2014

Why I help Oxfam Scotland

Everyone should do their bit to help make the world a better place, when and as they can.

In the nineties I was shocked to learn that about 30,000 children under five died every day from largely preventable things.

Five years ago, when I had some time to give back, I saw that Oxfam Scotland were looking for social & digital media help so I called them up and soon started giving my time & skills to supplement and complement their staff.

I've been helping them almost every day in one way or another since then, alongside full-time employment. But why help Oxfam amongst all the very worthy charities?
  • They tackle my pet problem, child mortality, head on as a main priority
  • They have a very efficient delivery of donations to the front line at almost 90%
  • They focus on solving the long term causes of poverty as well as giving emergency relief
  • They work locally, nationally and internationally addressing different forms of injustice
Since the nineties the child mortality rate has almost halved. We've made progress, the world is slowly getting better, but there is still a very long way to go. I love helping Oxfam, in my own way, and hope to continue doing so for a long time to come.

Can you do more to help make a better world? Pick what distresses you most and find your way to help tackle it. Together we can make a difference...

No comments:

Post a Comment